615 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Bristol, TN 37621
Stone Castle History
Bristol Municipal Stadium, also referred to as the Stone Castle, is an athletic facility located on the campus of Tennessee High School in Bristol, Tennessee. The structure features a design that is reminiscent of Medieval Gothic architecture and has a seating capacity of approximately 8,000. The stadium currently serves as the home field of the football, girls and boys soccer of Tennessee High School and Vance Middle School. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
During the era of the New Deal, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed two stadiums in the state of Tennessee, Bristol Municipal Stadium in Bristol and Crump Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee. Construction of Bristol Municipal Stadium began in 1934 and was completed in 1936. The cost of 34,000 USD was shared between the federal government and the city of Bristol.
The Stone Castle opened on October 8, 1936. The stadium has served as the home American football fields of Tennessee High School, Virginia High School, King College and Emory & Henry College. In addition, the African-American high schools of Slater High School and Douglas High School, located in Tennessee and Virginia respectively, utilized the stadium as their American football home stadium.